Site Header Music

8th July 2014 - Hello...

This is just a short post to both add a couple of photos relevant to earlier posts and an update.

All is well and I now feel like I have a working studio despite the fact that there are still a few outstanding finishing touches and further things to sort out. I guess there will be ongoing tweaks and refinements to this space.

Firstly, here are a couple of shots showing the room treatments so far. You can see the two 120 x 60 x 10 cm and two 60 x 60 x 10 cm panels on the side walls and you might just be able to see the 120 x 60 x 10 cm panel behind the displays. This panel isn't fixed in position at the moment and is just resting on the dado trunking. I'll need to move the workstation stand to do this so that's for another day.

In addition, I thought I would mention here that I have just acquired a new microphone which has been on my shopping list for some time. It's the Neumann TLM 102 and if you look closely you can see it in the second image above.

Another thing worth mentioning and, again, something you can see from the images above. I've added a couple of guitar brackets to the side walls. I was also able to make use of the hanging rails enabling me to attach the brackets without drilling any further holes in the wall. These brackets came with a wooden block for the bracket to attach to but I wanted them to be as low profile as possible so they were put aside and the brackets were attached directly to the rails.

That's just about it for now but I thought I would mention some things I still need to look at. Primarily, the room acoustics which I haven't got round to measuring yet. Although I've been happy with the Alesis Monitor Ones I feel they may be a weak link now and it looks as though the next item on my shopping list new monitors could be round the corner (possibly the Adam A7X). Having just bought the microphone this won't happen for a while, and I'll most likely do some work treating the space with the existing set up before then. 

I did say that this would be a short post and it's always the way that once you start writing you think of many other things along the way. That is it for now - until the next update...

18th February 2014 - Treatments...

Having been spending a fair bit of time recording when I've had the chance I finally got around to making the acoustic treatment panels to attach to the walls. I had read many other ideas on the net of ways to construct them but I wanted to take it back to basics. Most people tend to make a frame for the mineral wool to sit inside before it is covered in fabric. My thinking was that the 120 x 60 x 10cm panels are pretty rigid anyway so what about simply wrapping them in the fabric. This is fine but the problem comes when you want to keep the fabric in place. I came up with the idea of simply placing some very thin timber inside the centre where I need to make a joint at the seam and the same at two ends where the ends need to be closed off. I have a pile of 4-5mm thick cladding material that seemed to fit the bill quite well so went about cutting the lengths to suit. When it came to wrapping the slabs it was important to cut them fairly accurately to ensure that the ends and corners were tidy. With a fair bit of patients and thought they actually turned out rather well. Next problem was to deal with the attaching to the walls.

I wanted a fairly simple solution with minimal amount of wall drilling and I finally decided on attaching a batten to each side wall much like a picture rail and the slabs could then simply be hooked in place. The added advantage here is that it allows for a degree of adjustment ion position. Doing this also means that the screws can be positioned exactly where the vertical wall studs are so no unsightly big holes and wall plugs are required and if I decide to change things later I can remove them easily with only very small holes requiring filling.

I bought a number of steel angle brackets and plates which attached to the slabs to create the hook. You'll see this better from the photos to be added later...

Additional information