Site Header Music

15-16th July 2013 - Paint the Door Red...or white as the case may be!

I was hoping to finally get the outer door hung this weekend but there were still a number of things to do. Firstly, the door and seal panel would need painting. I had bought a tin of Sadolin satin white (exterior paint) which I had used to coat some timber cladding on the house and found it to be extremely easy to use. Of course the main issue with painting is the time in between coats which makes the job a lot longer although with the current warm weather this is not too bad.  I initially put down a couple of light diluted coats (Sadolin is water based so this is possible) which were very quick to dry so I could easily do on Saturday during the day which left a dry surface to paint one undiluted coat last thing at night.  This coat would be ready for over painting at midday on Sunday and I could start thinking about fitting the lock.

During periods while the paint was drying I did manage to do some other jobs, including a thorough clean up of the workshop - my obsession at times. I also made a jig for the hinge positions from the door and transferred this to the door frame and routed the corresponding rebates ready for the door to be hung.

Obviously as this door is open to the outside it needs to be totally secure and I had bought a 3" 5-lever mortice dead lock from Screwfix on Friday as a first level of security.  Once the last coat of paint was dry enough to work on I set about installing the lock, which involves making an 18mm x 84mm deep pocket in the edge of the door to accommodate the lock mechanism. With a few holes drilled and a bit of work with the chisels...done. Next, the recess for the lock outer plate to allow it to sit flush with the surface. I used the router here to cut an accurate recess at exactly 5mm deep and squared the corners with a chisel. All good, and once screwed into position all that remained was to make the slot for the key to enter (from the outside only.)  

Unfortunately I was running out of time on Sunday so hanging the door would have to wait for another day :-( All that was left to do was have a final clear up, although I did manage to get the four hinges screwed onto the door ready for hanging. Just have to hope that all of my measuring for the hinges on the frame is accurate when I come to fix the door ;-)

Photo (image from later stage but shows the lock):

6-7th July 2013

A few things happening this weekend so limited time available - Wimbledon final on Sunday and watched Murray finally get his deserved Wimbledon - title great work Andy! It was also a scorching couple of days so BBQ and picnic with the family :-)

Anyway, I did also get some build time in and I particularly wanted get the last MDF panel cut and machined for the outer door. As with the first door, this panel attaches once the door is in on the frame and has the 'P' section silicone seal attached before securing to the main door assembly.  This panel is about 20mm all round under the size of the door itself.

Cutting the panel went ok but the blade on my circular saw is getting pretty blunt especially with the amount of MDF I have had to cut. It is really starting to struggle and over a long distance starts to overheat. I did have to plane the long edge a bit  as it managed to deflect the guide timber a small amount cutting a mm or so narrower than I planned. Not an issue as we are not talking very tight tolerances. So note: get new circular saw blade.  At least that's the last of the MDF sheets for now.

Next fairly straight forward job was to machine the 2.5mm deep rebate to allow for the attachment of the seal. The router makes easy work of this and once the stops are set it takes a few minutes to complete all four sides.

All that left to do was to align the panel with the main door assembly and drill two blind pilot holes through to allow for two locating pins to be inserted to make lining the seal panel onto the main door easy. This worked perfectly on door one so applied the same trick here.

Additional information