Site Header Music

21st July 2013 - Door Nailed!

Having had a busy Friday and Saturday on Sunday I set to work on the door and, as it happened, got more done than I had anticipated. I remembered from the first door that there were  a lot of time consuming jobs but this time with the benefit of previous experience I ploughed through it pretty quickly.

I had already stapled the P seal onto the inner MDF panel in the week so it was just a matter of marking out hole positions ensuring they miss any obstructions like locks hinges etc.  I then inserted the pins into the door itself and offered up the seal panel and it was in place ready to be screwed on.

I had some concern about the MDF laminations around the lock, even though it was well glued together, there is a very remote chance that the lock could pull through the MDF sheets if enough force was exerted. As extra security measure I inserted some 65mm long screws around the perimeter of the pocket with the lock mechanism sits joining all four layers together.

Next job: fit the surrounding frame door stops. As before, I used MDF cut into 110mm wide lengths to cover the full depth of the frame. Once cut to length I took my time to ensure that they met the door frame stops pretty snug with the door fully closed and marked there position. I repeated the process again to ensure the accuracy as this would be crucial to the effectiveness of the seal. I then moved the frame stops in by 2mm before screwing them in position to ensure that the seal is compressed when closed. 

Now I had to get the heavy duty latch fitted. Again, thanks this being the second one I needed very little time to plan. All went well and as before I used the square section barrel to cut the 18 diameter hole for the barrel itself, though this time I mounted it in the drill by inserting a stud length into the threaded end making it a lot easier.

All that remained was to fit the rest of the hardware: the latching plates ensuring that the door was pulled tight compressing, the seals and then the box plate for the lock bolt to engage into. The router again makes light work of this and I quickly had all the fittings in place. So now apart from attaching the plasterboard panel inside and tidying up the outer frame that's doors complete!

What's next? Well, having not really come up with a definite plan for the floor this has been solved. I have been given some light wood effect laminate flooring which had been taken up and replaced by solid wood. Laminate it is. It's in good condition and there's just enough for my needs. I also have a complete new roll of high quality underlay left over from our house extension. So my next major job is laying flooring.

Photos:

15th July 2013 - Hanging Out

A little frustrated not getting the door hung over the weekend I decided to get the thing up this evening after the kids bedtime stories etc.

Before hanging the door I had one job to do while it was on the bench. Although I glued the three layers together with PVA I wanted to be doubly sure that the layers would stay together so inserted a number of 50mm long screws over the back surface that will be concealed by the other panels. Pretty straight forward though the noise whilst screwing into the door assembly was like the loudest squealing I had ever heard.  In fact it was so piercing that I had to wear the ear defenders!

Fitting this door is no easy task when it weighs in at approx 45kg - it's hard enough to lift let alone hang on the frame - though I had already done it for the inner door. Anyway, I followed the process as I had done for the first door and taped a piece of wood to the underside to protect it from bashing whilst moving it from the workshop to the studio. It's inevitable damage will occur even when placing the door on the ground, so this is essential.  The door frame itself is about 12cm above the ground level so I first had to build a level platform at roughly the right height for it to sit on. This took a little work with wedges and a few different pieces of timber to make the correct height. As you already know, the hinge rebates are already in the frame and the hinges are attached to the door, so all I need to do is get the door in position to drill and insert screws.  It's a bit of a juggling act but I managed to carefully get the top hinge in position and drill pilot holes and finally get the screws driven in. A big relief once the first hinge is secured but the jobs not over yet and with a bit more juggling easing the other hinges into their respective rebates I got the lower hinge secured. One of the inner rebates needed a small amount taken off to get the hinge in-situ and screwed on but this was a breeze.

Of course the moment of truth - as always - does it close! I removed the blocks from underneath and removed the length of timber taped to the lower edge of the door and, 'hey presto' it closed - sigh of relief! :-)

I need now attach the fourth MDF panel with the seal stapled on but I have already holes drilled in both for the aligning pins. Then attach the latch and the final door layer (plasterboard).

Photos:

Additional information