Site Header Music

5-6th August 2013 -

Monday 5th

I wanted to do a bit of testing of the cabling between the computer and the room itself. If you have read earlier posts you'l know the computer will reside in the airlock and connected by cables under the floor. I will be making a desk but I wanted something temporary just to check it out so I made use of some steel from a disassembled office desk attaching a scrap piece of timber between the legs and adding a back brace to stop it wobbling. I placed a piece of MDF on the top  to give a decent size surface. This worked out pretty well and provides enough space for a couple of monitors (screens), keyboard, mouse etc. I also made a small shelf in the airlock for the PC box to sit on.

I have a spare computer to use for testing purposes which I placed on the shelf and connected all of the cabling up. The space is very tight but it fits in there quite nicely actually. I hooked up my 24" monitor to one of the DVI cables in the room and fired up the system. All good and it even runs at the full 1920 x 1200 native resolution of the display even on the long cables. I had issues with this on my DAW when I tested a while back and I could only seem to get it working reliably at 1920 x 1080. Great news - so I'll probably put this graphics card in the DAW when I try it again.

I have just ordered a couple of 24" 1920 x 1080 displays so I might use the original 1920 x 1200 along with one of the newer ones side-by-side. But I'll do some further testing these arrive to see what combination works best with Cubase 7, Wavelab 8, HALion 5 etc.

Tuesday 6th

I had the day off from work today as it is my daughter's 7th birthday and I had a bit of time to do some further checks, for example connecting up the homeplugs between the studio and the house's CAT6 network, which worked a treat. I do have CAT5 cables running into the house but I haven't got these connected into the home network yet so this will be fine for the time being.

3-4th August 2013 - Floored...or perhaps flawed!

OK, so the task this weekend: lay the laminate flooring.

I started with the easy job: laying the underlay. I had a roll left over from a room from the house when we had the extension built and I always had it set aside for this job. All pretty easy and only took a couple of full lengths off the roll and one half length. This has a foil top to it which resulted in quite a funky looking effect. See photo below.

The next conundrum to solve: check whether there was enough laminate to cover the area sufficiently. As mentioned earlier this was taken up from an existing room and had obviously been cut to suit that room. I pretty much knew there was enough m2 but having been cut to various lengths and some having had the tongue and groove end chopped off to fit the original room I had to be sure the lengths would work in my room.

I had initially thought of just ploughing on picking pieces up and laying as I found them but very quickly realised this could have proved disastrous. In the end I spent Saturday afternoon laying each piece out and choosing it's position just like a jigsaw puzzle. Some lengths were slightly damaged so I was also swapping them out for the best ones. This definitely paid off and I was able to cover the entire area with pretty well perfect pieces. This left me with Sunday to actually fit the floor.

It required a lot of pieces cut to various shapes and sizes so and I made sure my work bench was clear and the circular saw was mounted on my ad-hoc table. In fact I started trying to cut the lengths up to the fence (I should say 40 x 40 mm length of timber clamped to the work surface) but this would have proven time consuming. In the end I just drew lines and cut everything by eye freehand. This worked out a dream and most of the cuts were reasonably straight.

The floor went down really well and I was actually very pleased with the result :-)

Photos to prove it:

Additional information